Thursday, August 22, 2013

Vacation's All I Ever Wanted

In precisely 42 hours I will be heading to Maine for a week-long vacation and I can't freakin' wait. I was never big on Maine, had only been there once or twice when I was really young, but last year someone let us use their cabin in Rangeley and we were instantly hooked on the area. We booked a different cabin as soon as we got home from our vacation last August, so we've essentially been waiting a year to go back.

The week we went last year, the town's little movie theater showed Jaws for free one night, and it was a blast. I think I really fell in love with the town that night, sitting in that dark theater with strangers and watching a faded print of that awesome movie, which I had never seen in a theater. It was scarier than I'd remembered, and I wasn't the only one who hadn't remembered, because a bunch of people brought young kids. (Note: don;t ever do this. Your children will be very afraid and probably have nightmares.)

Tangential note: I learned this past weekend that great whites usually attack from below, so you would rarely see a fin beforehand. I'm glad Spielberg ignored that little tidbit.

The reason I bring up my trip (besides being super excited) is that I've decided that after Sin City Book Three, I'm going to start a series that takes place in a town based on Rangeley. That way I can sort of live there all year long, or as long as it takes me to write the (probably three) books. I've already got some ideas for the characters (a hunky forest ranger, a b&b owner, logger, etc). I don't have a name for the series yet, but perhaps by the time I come home, I will. Suggestions are welcome.

Now for the book review portion of our program:

I've been on a great streak the past few weeks. I didn't throw a single book down in disgust. I read Sarah Pekkanen's These Girls and I think it's terrific. Insightful, entertaining, and a good story about three women friends. Also a realistic portrait of what it's like to live in NYC. Or so I think. I've never actually lived there. It's not a romance but there are romantic elements.

For my next book I went in a totally different direction: the beautiful and heart-wrenching The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene. It had been recommended to me, and I knew I was in for a sad story, but it was so worth the read. It's a love story, in a sense, about two teenagers with cancer, so not a light read, but it's also uplifting in the way anything beautiful can be. I recommend it without reservation. I am not the only one, either, as it's won all sorts of awards and has a zillion reviews.

Next up, Ride with Me by Ruthie Knox. This romance is going on my faves list. I wish I'd written it. The story is fresh, the characters likable, and it's super sexy. The woman can write a sex scene, and she doesn't skimp. Plus she's a fabulous writer. I actually found myself re-reading sentences because they were so witty or nicely said or unexpected. I love romance novels, but I'm often disappointed, and it's rare for the writing to be good enough that I re-read them as I'm going. Ride with Me is only .99 right now, so take advantage.

I was terrified that Ride with Me was Knox's only book, but much to my delight she's written a bunch. So after Ride with Me I read About Last Night which was also great and refreshing in its characters and storyline, and I have a couple more of her books on my kindle for vacation reading.

So happy reading, and I'll see you here when I'm back. : )






No comments:

Post a Comment