Thursday, March 21, 2013

Confession

A month or so ago I saw "Zero Dark Thirty," the movie about searching for, finding and ultimately killing Osama bin Laden. It was more or less what I expected – well done, brutal, thought-provoking and disturbing. But I am embarrassed to say that I also had another, very simple and unexpected reaction while watching.

Lust.

Most of you probably know that Navy SEAL Team Six were the ones that raided the compound. Well, the moment the SEALs came on screen, I was like, I want to get me some of that. The primitive cavewoman living in my head broke free of my intellect and panted over the hunky, sexy, oh-so capable men running around and acting heroic.

Now, clearly I'm not the only one with a thing for Navy SEALs. They enjoy a certain mystique within the general population, and there are a number of romance novels dedicated to SEAL heros. I just had never found myself lusting over them, or the idea of them (since these were just actors, after all). Plus, it was kind of weird timing, since the movie itself is the opposite of romantic.

Nevertheless, I decided I had to read some SEAL romances. I'm evening flirting with the idea of writing one myself, though that would be a ways off. I have done some searching around and found a few, but have only just started reading in this tasty sub-genre. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to pass them on. My guess is this is the type of book that's difficult to carry off well, but finding those gems will be worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment